South Suburban College
South Suburban College

Financial Aid Frequently Asked Questions

Is there financial help available to me to go to college?
Yes there is financial assistance available. South Suburban College participates in a wide variety of grant, scholarship and work-study programs.
How do I apply for a grant?
Stop at the Financial Aid Office at South Suburban College or your local library and pick up a FAFSA form. Complete the application and drop it off along with a copy of your tax forms to the Financial Aid Office. You can also file electronically via the Internet at:
What types of grants are available?
The federal government offers two grants the Pell and SEOG. The State of Illinois also offers two grants the MAP and the IIA. You can apply for all of these grants by filling out the FAFSA.
Do I have to pay these grants back?
No, grants are a gift of aid that does not need to be repaid.
Who is eligible?
Eligibility is based on need. Need is determined by looking at your income and economic situation. Most of the information you provide is based on your previous years federal income tax return.
What if my economic situation has changed since I filed my income tax return?
Special situations and any unusual situations should be referred to the Director of Financial Aid. In certain cases these circumstances can be taken into account when determining your financial aid eligibility.
Are there scholarships available?
Yes, South Suburban College offers a wide array of scholarships through the college. The financial aid office has resources on scholarships that are available from other sources.
Can I work while I am going to school?
Yes South Suburban College participates in the College work Study program. Students in this program work at the college and earn money to help pay college expenses while they are attending school. Many SSC students also work part-time jobs off campus.
Where do I go to get help with filling out my forms?
The financial aid office is located across the hall from the Cashier and registration areas on the second floor of the college. Enter the college thru the visitors entrance, door number one.
When is the Financial Aid Office open?
The Financial Aid Office is in room 2234 and is open from 8:00AM to 7:00PM Monday thru Thursday and 8:00AM to 4:00PM Friday. The phone number is 708-596-2000 ext 2321, or email John Semple.
What information do I need to bring with me when I turn in my application?
Bring in a copy of your latest 1040 form along with your application. The Financial Aid Office will notify you if any other documentation is required.
What other eligibility requirements are there besides my income?

To be eligible for financial aid a student must be a US citizen or an eligible non-citizen. Not be in default on any previous student loans, and have a high school diploma or a HSE*. Male students over the age of 18 must also be registered for selective service.

* In certain cases students without a high school diploma or High School Equivalency (HSE) may still qualify for financial aid under the ability to benefit provision.

More questions? Financial Aid, visit us in room 2234, or call (708) 596-2000, ext. 2321, 2322, 2319

© 2008 - 2014 South Suburban College ยท Main Number: (708)596-2000 | Office of Admissions: (708)210-5718
Main Campus: 15800 South State Street, South Holland, Illinois 60473-1200
Oak Forest Center: 16333 South Kilbourn Avenue, Oak Forest, Illinois 60452-4601